UPDATED MAY 24, 2021: We will be reopening fully on June 11, 2021 at noon! The rules below apply until that time.
ADOPTION CENTER OPEN BY APPOINTMENT!
We are open for adoptions BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Appointments must be made by phone, starting at noon each day. PLEASE READ THIS POST IN FULL BEFORE YOU CALL!
45-minute appointment slots are very limited and will be filled on a first come, first served basis. Appointments are for adopters who are fully prepared to bring a pet into their home immediately; we are not able to accommodate casual visits at this time. We cannot hold animals for any period of time outside of scheduled appointments.
Please be aware that if you schedule an appointment and then do not show up, you are doing a disservice to the animal who has been held for that appointment and may have missed out on other loving homes. If you change your mind, please call to cancel your appointment with as much advance notice as possible.
Our volunteer program will remain on hiatus until further notice.
TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT:
- Call 859.873.5491 beginning at noon daily. Phone calls only. Appointments will not be scheduled by email, social media, etc.
- If you call before noon, you will be asked to call back once appointments are open. Calling or leaving a message before appointments are open will not allow you to jump the line.
- We anticipate high call volume. Please DO NOT leave a voicemail requesting an appointment. If the line is busy or you get to voicemail, please call back and try again.
- Each appointment is a 45-minute meet and greet with ONE (1) PET and ONE PET ONLY. You must know what pet you want to meet when you call to make your appointment. You will not be obligated to adopt that pet if it is not a good fit.
- If your selected pet is already scheduled for an appointment, you will be added to that pet’s wait list. Should an appointment fall through or be cancelled, we will move on to the next name on the list.
- YOU MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETED ADOPTION APPLICATION WITHIN 24 HOURS OF CALLING TO SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT. If you have already submitted an application recently, let the staff member who makes your appointment know. If you for some reason cannot access the applications online or via email, you may make arrangements to pick up a paper copy at the Adoption Center.
- If you are meeting a dog and have dog(s) at home, let staff know when you schedule your appointment. You may bring your dog(s) to your appointment for an introduction.
YOUR APPOINTMENT/ADOPTION WILL BE CANCELLED IF:
- Your adoption application is not submitted within 24 hours of scheduling your appointment
- Your adoption application is declined for any reason*
- You arrive more than 15 minutes late
- You refuse to abide by the PPE, screening, and social distancing guidelines laid out below
- You are unable to render payment (credit/debit cards ONLY) at time of appointment
- You are abusive toward staff
*Your adoption application will be preliminarily approved (or declined) prior to your appointment; we reserve the right to retract that approval during your appointment if it becomes necessary.
If your appointment is cancelled for any reason and you desire to reschedule, the pet you previously selected WILL NOT be on hold for you in the interim. Pets with a wait list will move on to the next applicant.
RULES FOR ALL VISITORS:
Please remember that many of our staff live with and/or care for individuals who are at great risk from Covid-19. These rules are designed to keep visitors, staff, and their respective families safe. If you can’t abide by them you are welcome to delay your visit until we are able to transition to a full reopening.
- Limit TWO (2) visitors inside the Adoption Center per appointment (as of March 16, 2021). Must be the primary care-givers for the pet in question.
- For dog adoptions, we are now welcoming OUTDOOR meet-and-greets with additional members of your immediate household! (As of March 16, 2021)
- Adopters must be over 18 years of age
- Visitors MUST wear a mask covering both nose and mouth for the ENTIRE DURATION of their visit (staff will be masked also)
- Temperature will be taken before entry; anyone with a fever over 100F will not be allowed to enter (staff will be temperature checked at the beginning of their shift)
- Immediately upon entry, all visitors must wash and sanitize hands
- Visitors are expected to join staff in maintaining 6’ distance between individuals at all times
AT YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- Upon arrival, please remain in your vehicle and call 859.873.5491 to notify staff that you have arrived.
- Appointment times are not flexible. If you arrive early, you will have to wait. If you arrive late, additional time WILL NOT be added to your appointment.
- Only TWO (2) VISITORS will be allowed inside. Dog adopters may also have an OUTDOOR meet-and-greet with additional members of their immediate household.
- You will be accompanied by your Adoptions Counselor at all times during your visit. Do not go anywhere on the grounds or in the facility unaccompanied.
- You will be restricted to the Adoption Center lobby and a designated outdoor play yard (dogs only) during your appointment; your pet will be brought out to meet you. You will not be allowed to “browse” the cattery or kennel – as mentioned above, each appointment is for ONE (1) PET, and one pet ONLY. If you discover during your appointment that that pet is not the right fit for your home, you may schedule another appointment to meet a different pet.
Please be prepared to follow any and all staff instructions during your visit, including reminders to keep appropriate social distance.
- Every adoption during this time will be through our Foster to Adopt program, giving you a 7 day trial period to make sure your new pet will do well with all members of your household and be a good match long term.
- If the pet IS a good fit, there is no need to take further action; we will finalize your adoption at the end of the 7 day period.
- If the pet is NOT a good fit, IT MUST BE RETURNED TO WOODFORD HUMANE. Call the Adoption Center at 859.873.5491 to schedule your return. Returns during the 7 day trial period are eligible for refund of the adoption fee; after the 7 day trial period we will still be happy accept the pet, but your adoption fee will not be refunded.
- Call 859.873.5491: Anyone needing to surrender a pet MUST MAKE AN APPOINTMENT. We will not have the staff, space, or time to accommodate walk-ins. This applies to both owned pets and Foster to Adopt returns.
- Intake appointments will only be available before noon.
- IF YOU HAVE FOUND A PET, contact Woodford County Animal Control immediately at 859.879.0598. Woodford Humane Society cannot accept found animals.
- Monetary donations are more important than ever! Donations are down, and our annual line-up of fundraising events has been severely disrupted by the pandemic. If you are able to give, please make a secure donation online or mail a check to PO Box 44, Versailles, KY 40383.
- Kroger Community Rewards remains the easiest way to give and it is 100% free to you, the shopper. Just enroll your Plus Card and Kroger will donate a portion of your purchase every time you shop.
- In-kind donations of items and supplies are still welcome and needed! Please drop off donations in the designated bins outside of the Receiving Center between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm daily.