We are open for adoptions BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Appointments must be made by phone, starting at noon each day. PLEASE READ THIS POST IN FULL BEFORE YOU CALL!
45-minute appointment slots are limited and will be filled on a first come, first served basis and can be booked up to 3 days in advance. Appointments are for adopters who are fully prepared to bring a pet into their home immediately; we are not able to accommodate casual visits at this time. We cannot hold animals for any period of time outside of scheduled appointments.
Please be aware that if you schedule an appointment and then do not show up, you are doing a disservice to the animal who has been held for that appointment and may have missed out on other loving homes. If you change your mind, please call to cancel your appointment with as much advance notice as possible.
TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT:
- Call 859.873.5491 beginning at 10:00 am daily. Phone calls only. Appointments will not be scheduled by email, social media, etc. You will receive a confirmation email containing all the important details of your appointment, as well as a link to the adoption application and a deadline to submit your application.
- If you call before 10:00 am, you will be asked to call back once appointments are open. Calling or leaving a message before appointments are open will not allow you to jump the line in the event that specific pets have several interested parties.
- Leaving a voicemail does not constitute making an appointment. Voicemail is checked intermittently and your message will not necessarily be received before someone else calls about the same pet. Please call back and speak with a staff member to schedule.
- Each appointment is a 45-minute meet and greet with a specific pet. We ask that you know what one pet you most want to meet when you schedule your appointment, so that we can put that pet on hold for you. However, you are not obligated to take that pet home if it’s not a good fit, and you can meet other available pets during your visit.
- If your selected pet is already scheduled for an appointment, you will be added to that pet’s wait list. Should an appointment fall through or be cancelled, we will move on to the next name on the list. If you are called from a wait list, you will have until close of business the same day to schedule an appointment before we move on to the next person on the list.
- YOU MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETED ADOPTION APPLICATION WITHIN THE TIME FRAME SPECIFIED IN YOUR APPOINTMENT CONFIRMATION EMAIL. If you have already submitted an application recently, let the staff member who makes your appointment know. If you for some reason cannot access the application or do not receive a confirmation email, you may make arrangements to pick up a paper copy at the Adoption Center prior to your scheduled appointment.
- If you are meeting a dog and have dog(s) at home, let staff know when you schedule your appointment. You may bring your dog(s) to your appointment for an introduction.
YOUR APPOINTMENT/ADOPTION WILL BE CANCELLED IF:
- Your adoption application is not submitted within the time frame specified by your adoptions counselor
- Your adoption application is declined for any reason*
- You arrive more than 15 minutes late
- You are unable to render payment at time of appointment
- You are abusive toward staff
*Your adoption application will be preliminarily approved (or declined) prior to your appointment; we reserve the right to retract that approval during your appointment if it becomes necessary.
If your appointment is cancelled for any reason and you desire to reschedule, the pet you previously selected WILL NOT be on hold for you in the interim. Pets with a wait list will move on to the next applicant.
AT YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- Upon arrival, please remain in your vehicle and call 859.873.5491 to notify staff that you have arrived. The front doors will be locked, we’ll need to let you in.
- Appointment times are not flexible. If you arrive early, you will have to wait. If you arrive late, additional time WILL NOT be added to your appointment.
Volunteer help is particularly needed with tasks like laundry, washing bowls, and cleaning cat condos in the morning, any day of the week. While these may not be the most exciting jobs, they are where we need help. Volunteer Orientations are required; if you have already completed an Orientation, you do not need an appointment to volunteer.
- Call 859.873.5491: Anyone needing to surrender a pet MUST MAKE AN APPOINTMENT. We do not have the staff, space, or time to accommodate walk-ins.
- Intake appointments will only be available before noon.
- IF YOU HAVE FOUND A PET, contact Woodford County Animal Control immediately at 859.879.0598. Woodford Humane Society cannot accept found animals.
- Monetary donations are more important than ever! Prices are up, intake is up, and adoptions are slow. Our resources are strained. If you are able to give, please make a secure donation online or mail a check to PO Box 44, Versailles, KY 40383.
- Kroger Community Rewards remains the easiest way to give and it is 100% free to you, the shopper. Just enroll your Plus Card and Kroger will automatically donate quarterly.
- In-kind donations of items and supplies are still welcome and needed! Please drop off donations in the designated bins outside of the Receiving Center between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm daily. If you need a donation receipt for tax purposes, just give us a call when you arrive and we’ll be happy to provide one.